-

08 August 2016

Keeping Home Pretty & Organized

Alright, I got everything, and I mean every.single.thing gone through and I purged a bunch! Look at these empty containers from just 1 day!


I haven't put it all back where it needs to be but now there is SO much less to deal with, should be much easier!

 Step 1 is done ✔️
Step 2 is making a place for it that is smart and pretty! 
Clutter isn't pretty, crock pots aren't either.

Making things pretty for me is the use of a wide variety of things, I use bins, baskets, boxes, whatever we already have on hand. But first, I have figured out where the *good* spots are and use them! These are spots that are easy to access, no furniture moving to get to them. They are in rooms you are in often, and that can HIDE stuff. So drawers, cupboards, cabinets etc. That is where the ugly stuff goes. BUT, it has to be ugly stuff that gets used often. Remember that quesadilla maker? Did you keep it? Do you use it more than once a month?  For us, the instant pot, amazing and ugly and used 4+ times a week gets residency in a GOOD spot. 

There isn't some magic list of what you should store in your good storage spots. I don't know what you think is ugly, how much you have storage for etc. Organizing is pretty individualized, it's not going to be some cookie cutter list for everyone.  

These are our GOOD hiding spots, besides closets. But those get some special treatment too.

~Old trunk
 I am hesitant to put anything in here that isn't plastic, because it's old and weird and smells a little. I've got this empty bin, from all that purging, and it fits perfect.

~Hall Built In
This is where our printer, filing, sewing machine and my home office are. The lower drawers store fabric, puzzles, gift wrap supplies and a couple are empty! WOOHOO

Hopefully painting these will be in the cards soon! 


~Kitchen Cupboards
This one is a common one, we all use them. Ours have the blenders, pots and pans. Although we do have a few empty drawers!

~Pantry
Food, it's not all pretty! Some of it can be, but most is not. I'm hoping to make it prettier in here soon!

We also hide our toaster and ugly microwave in there!

~Dressers
Besides clothes, we use dressers in other rooms.  I have my "Mom Drawer" in there, kids daily stuff. Their chore cards, journals and that stuff. And then the bottom 2 drawers are craft stuff and decor.

~Entry Table
This is a SUPER spot to get some extra storage. We chose this one, with 4 drawers (1 for each kid) and a whole other side.  The kids have so much random junk in there. I don't care what is in there, as long as its not food. Wallets, gum, change, nerf darts, socks etc. They each have a drawer and I don't deal with it. I ask them to clean them out every once in a while.
The other side is empty right now, thanks to purging!


Where are your good hiding spots? What do you keep in them?


*May contain affiliated links* I participate in Amazon Associates Program occasionally. I won't recommend a product I wasn't myself interested in trying or have tried. I may receive monetary compensation for participating. This does not change the price for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment